Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The First Story: Katie's Graduation



Our first Antique Reunion. Well, the first one that a majority of us went to. After two delightful years of working together we faced a sad fact in the summer of 2008: we couldn't all return to Worlds of Fun (which turned out to be a good thing, for those lucky girls that escaped). Rachael had to enter the real world and take an internship in Kansas. I guess she couldn't work at WOF the rest of her life. Hannah was working at the mall, Khira - due to rising gas prices - had taken a job closer to home. In fact, I hadn't even gone back for a third season. They hadn't invited me back, so I didn't work the first few months. Eventually, I humbled myself and came crawling back, asking for work. At the time of the party, I might have just been re-hired. So Katie was the only current Antique girl. Unfortunately, we'd sort of lost touch with Sunny at that point, and she wasn't able to come that night. But the rest of us reunited to celebrate the end of Katie's high school occasion, what has come to be a the first momentous moment of mediocrity is one's adult life. It's funny how we're pushed so hard to accomplish things that really aren't that uncommon any more. It's also funny that people get so excited when we do.
But we were all so very proud of Katie and her intelligence. We got all dressed up and met for an evening at Zona Rosa. It was one of the first times we'd really all been together at the same time. We were all friends - good friends. But scheduling at Worlds of Fun rarely afforded us the opportunity to be together at the same time. Needless to say, this was a highly anticipated event. And I think it'd be safe to say it lived up to our expectations.
We ate a delicious pizza dinner. I don't remember the name of the restaurant now, but it was dark and decorated modern-ly. It wasn't too busy the night we went, although it was by no means deserted. We ate and talked, giggled and took a few pictures. After dinner, we went outside and stood for a few minutes. Almost immediately we decided to take more pictures. We are, after all, the Antique girls. Pictures are a major part of what brings us together. Luckily, Rachael had a tripod in her purse. We all laughed at the time, because she'd just thrown it in. Rachael carried one of those monstrosities that cannot be classified as a purse. No, this was a bag - maybe even a carry on. And it was adorable, so naturally she wanted to bring it. But with a bag of that size, you simply have to fill it. So you end up throwing in all sorts of stuff that you probably don't need, but could someday find a use for and be grateful to have - a tripod for example. And since that time, we never get together without one.
We took several pictures, although not as many as usual. This one was definitely my favorite and I don't think it's hard to guess the reason. I have no idea why Zona has phone booths decorating the area, but they are incredibly fun to take pictures with. Outside of the restaurant was crowded. It was a beautiful Friday in May and we weren't the only ones enjoying the evening. After picture taking and walking around, we ended up at the $2 Theater.
It occurs to me that this story lacks plot. Really any sort of conflict. And I suppose I could make one up, about Rachael and Khira getting in a huge disagreement over the ice cream choice for the evening or nearly having a throwdown over the post-dinner activities, until Katie interceded and selflessly pointed out that it was her graduation, and she just wanted everyone to get along. Of course, she would say it much more eloquently, and inspiring music would waft over the crowds as Rachael and Khira humbly made amends and insisted that Katie decided whatever they had disagreed over. But that didn't happen. It was a wonderful, conflict free night and I suppose the conflict of this post will have to be that it is conflict-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment